Armenian genocide. We remember.

In two days Armenians all over the world will commemorate the 100th anniversary of Armenian genocide during which the Ottoman Empire massacred 1.5 million Armenians. They have also killed 750.000 Assyrians and 900.000 Greeks. The overwhelming majority of historians recognize Armenian genocide. As well as many countries like Canada, Russia, France, Argentina, Germany, Austria where the suvivors of the Armenian genocide and their descendants live. About a week ago Pope Francis used the word "genocide" to describe massacre of Armenians by Ottoman Turks. Turkey has reacted with anger at this statement and quickly summoned the Vatican ambassador. Unfortuntaly, the main obstacle for wider recognition is the Turkey's position. Despite numerous eye-witness accounts, documenations, archaeological evidence, Turkey continues to deny its hand at mass murders during World War I.
Unfortunately, yesterday President Obama refused to recognize Armenian genocide despite the fact that in 2008 he said "As a president I will recogine Armenian genocide". Obviously, he couldn't care less about Armenians and Christians in the middle east, in general. He just needed more votes. The U.S. is afraid of damaging relations with Turkey. Especially considering the fact that the U.S. has its airbases located in Turkey.
In 1939 Hitler said: "Who speaks today of the extermination of Armenians?". Hitler was inspired by the forgotten Armenian genocide and committed Holocaust against Jews because he thought that it would be forgotten and unrecognized like the Armenian genocide.
The importance of the recognition of Armenian genocide is crucial.  Forgetting genocides of the past may lead to new genocides in the future.
This subject is very sensitive for me and my family. I am a descendant of genocide survivors. My mom's side of the family are from Sasun and Mush, Western Armenia (now it's the territory of Turkey). My ancestors were the victims of the Armenian genocide. They had to leave their homes and flee in order to save their lives. Some of my ancestors were killed or died in the desert. My great grandfather's brother fled to California, the U.S. Unfortuntaly, we lost touch with him and his family. My mom often tells me how my great grandfather cried remembering the events in 1915. His biggest dream was to return home. This is something my family will always remember and I will make sure that my kids will know the history of their people. The only thing we, Armenians, want is for Turkey to recognize it happened and say they are sorry. I hope one day it will happen.

Love,
Shushanna.




Комментарии

Популярные сообщения